The statistics of Black Friday in France
Originally created in the USA, Black Friday gets more and more popular in France from year to year. As its name indicates, Black Friday is on a Friday, the day after Thanksgiving (a US holiday), regarded as the first day of the Christmas shopping season, on which retailers make many deals.
What is Black Friday in France?
This phenomenon is increasing in France. However it differs from the Black Friday in the USA:
- First of all, the US Black Friday impacts the physical commerce. As we have seen in many videos, there are endless queues in front of the stores. Merchants will drop prices on internet only during the Cyber Monday. Whereas, in France, offers and purchases will be especially on internet.
- Secondly, in the USA , consumers are mainly purchasing domestic electrical equipments because deals are very attractive. On the other hand, in France, they mostly buy clothes and high tech products.
- Thirdly, in the USA, it is only takes place on Friday while in France, retailers make special offers from the beginning of the week till the next Monday which is the Cyber Monday. Of course, the best deals will be on the Friday.
The statistics in France in 2017 by « Black-Friday.sale »
- In 2017, the sales increased by 30% compared with last year.
- In terms of clothing, the sale represents 37% of all the sales.
- 62% of buyers are women , and so 38% are men, and the most active age range is between 25 and 34 years old.
- For now computer is the instrument of predilection in France for buyers with 77% against 33% for mobile phone and tablets.
- And finally, the most lucrative commercial websites are the giants e-commerce websites like: Amazon (their sales increased by 30%), PriceMinister, Cdiscount. But also French websites as Auchan, E.Leclerc.
Black Friday entered in France few years ago, but could we imagine that one day, deals would be as attractive as in the USA? Would it be a good idea or just another another way to feed the concept of consumer society?